Thursday, June 19, 2008

ON WRITING (WHAT WRITING IS) by Stephen King

Telepathy? Of course! Why didn't I think of that? The further I read into this memoir, the larger my love for the style, and respect for the author, grows. This passage by Stephen King is the neatest piece of literature I've ever read, and I am not just throwing that term around to come up with words. If I wanted to do that, I would just write the way I normally do, dance furiously around the subject. It's those kinds of 'moments' in writing, the little anecdotes that are the most interesting. I like how King writes that way in his book. He establishes an awesome relationship with the reader that breaks down the 'third wall' with a force. I think his goal in this section was to talk about writing in a new way, it has never been explained in such a trippy manner. I fully understood the concept of writing being telepathy; ideas and images are transmitted from the mind of the author into the reader's, and over any time span as well! This is such a neat thing to write about. Also, there are important lessons learned from this reading that will give confidence and motivation to writers who just need "to kick ass;" description of an object is not writing down the exact physical measurements or a popularity contest but a meeting of the minds.

No comments: