Tuesday, June 17, 2008

ASS BURGER by Augusten Burroughs

First of all, I will take the opportunity to use these words in a grade twelve writing assignment; ass burger.

I enjoyed Ass Burger, because of the underlying moral and theme that is clear throughout the piece. Ass Burger gave off warmth of sincerity as it was about brothers being supportive, and the unspoken love that exists from childhood. I could imagine that Burroughs almost definitely wrote Ass Burger with an unconcealable grin on his face when he brings up the quirky and fun memories of his older brother. Despite how he felt about John calling him ‘retarded’ or slow when he was younger, and even though then he did not know of Aspergers Syndrome, his respect for John is admirable. Not to say that it would be difficult to tolerate him, but the fact that they are brothers comes first, he describes the punishment for anyone who "is mean to my big lumbering brother with his unusual, one-in-a-trillion brain," a fierce loyalty has risen from him.
I love the character of John; obviously this is thanks to Augusten's craft. This diction is similar to that of Stephen King’s memoir, that being; casual and conversational. The dialogue in Ass Burger is wonderful; it is honest straight and at times, down right hilarious. The tone of this piece is appropriate; it is as if you are reminiscing good times with your brother. I do have a brother (and I’m still not sure that he’s ‘all there’) so I can certainly relate to the two, especially when they are young, that was Eric and I.

1 comment:

JGAGNE said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
BUUURRRRRGGGEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!