Monday, June 16, 2008

ON WRITING by Stephen King

I've read up to about a little less than a third of On Writing, I feel as if Stevie and I would have no trouble carrying on a conversation, because he's written a memoir that creates the same repore with the reader that would be present if he was sitting across the room sharing his stories.
Stephen is not out to impress with big words. One of the sections in this part of the book King tells us how a mentor John Gould tought him to write in simple, succint sentences; 'take out all the things that are not in the story.' (pg 47) His straight forward diction makes him come across as an honest everyday man. This is also a key element in the tone of his writing which is casual and sincere. I like the little thoughts he usually has to end a section, "Just an idea," "Man oh man," he's just rapping with me. We've all had our embarassing, painful, and frightening moments, especially in childhood. King depicts the trauma of being unheard when your little, and he paints each picture by describing the memory of each sense, olefactory, audio , visual ect. I can relate, it reminds me of all my finest moments of adolescence, and the responsibility learned as a young adult where he has a rough work schedule while using that money to pay for his passion.
I enjoy the informality of this peice, of this style of writing because it allows a repore to grow with the author and reader as there is no upper or lower class, no division between the King and his people, so to speak. It is more so of a friend in a more laid back manner giving you an honest idea of why and how he writes the way he does, and in fiction there is no gage on how down to earth this person really is.

No comments: