Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Catherine Gildiner Visits EWC4U in rm. 104

It was great having Catherine Gildiner visit our writer’s class. It's such a good experience to discuss writing with an author using her book as the topic. The class read her memoir which I very much enjoyed because her narrative was enchanting and I could relate to her childhood stories having been through the frustrations of adolescence myself.
Meeting the author of a novel gives you the chance to get further explanation of moments you couldn't understand or characters you found particularly interesting. Everyone had their own personal inquiries but once they were answered, we got an idea of what writing is to her and she gave personal advice to me that explained good ways to get over my own obstacles in writing. I felt very lucky because she shared the same troubles as I do; not writing objectively and writing in things that are not apart of the story. Not writing to the arc. She said that it's good to think along the lines of making background sentences, but find a 'kernel' and write to that, and leave out everything that didn't happen.
I brought my mom along, and she was extatic to meet the author of Seduction and have her copy signed to show off to the rest of her book club.

No comments: