Wednesday, June 18, 2008

THE ACCIDENT by Douglas Bell

I can picture this memoir originally being Douglas' extravagant bar story to tell to a crowd in need of a good one; this epic tale is a suitor because the diction isn't overly sophisticated so you could understand it as soon as your heard it, where as in literature can be like "a box of chocolate" most of the time which makes repeated reference to a dictionary inevitable.
This was entertaining, it is certainly less artsy than a memoir styled like There is a Season with less complex literary terms, but in any case that is just dependant on the author's writing style.
I noticed that in the all the speaking in this memoir displays a classic psychological process of dealing with such an occurrence; prologued with the "hop-waddle-walk" (fear; he does what he can to save him from the horrifying monster that is the truck) next, he admits to himself "I'm in trouble... This is what it would be like if I were mashed by the big freezer in out basement." (Acceptance) and oddly at the end anger "Fucking bastard, if I ever get my hands on that cocksucker..."
I believe that Bell achieved his goal in this piece that is; describing how a totally routine morning can have something catastrophic follow it. How normal the day was going. I liked the opening foreshadow he uses right off the bat to say that he was going to end up in a hospital. "Breakfast...Later when I threw it up in the emergency room..." this is the second sentence, and the last we hear of any sort of medical emergency or danger until the latter sections of the piece.

No comments: