Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I.S.P BLOG # 3

HIGH FIDELITY by Nick Hornby

What drives the plot best in the piece is what I was taught should and usually does do the job, character and narrative. The character we meet within the first paragraph has a story to tell to an audience of one, and that's his ex Laura. The reason why the character drive and narrative drive work so well together is because the protagonist he supports the character is also the narrator. It's a first person narrative; a message to Laura, with a quick opening that instantly creates a comically sad Mr. Heartbreak who lists the most memorable breakups. We eavesdrop on a tone that feels like something we're not supposed to hear; we know he has just ended another relationship and that leaves men melodramatic and sappy so readers expect to hear something 'heartfelt.' "Can you see your name in that lot, Laura? I reckon you'd sneak into the top ten, but there's no place for you in the top five." Ouch.

There is a vivid description of U.K's Hertfordshire, Hornby paints a clear picture of the local hangout spot as a kid in the small English suburb. "right across the road from a little row of shops (a VG supermarket, a newsagent, an off-license). There was nothing around that could help you get you geographical bearings" he continues to explain the confusion of being lost in the town. Hornby brings back my own memories which allows me to relate to his character when he is detailing his puberty. Just as painful as mine, the unnamed protagonist empathizes with me by bringing up gut wrenching moments that clearly stick in his mind as a grown-up; his first breakup. "I stung, and I blushed, and I suddenly forgot how to walk without being aware of every single part of my body." The love able sadness emitted adds a familiarity to him, so we feel like we know him more.

The end of this section makes good use of writing something with cliffhanger qualities. "If we were doing this list in grief order, rather than chronological order, I'd put it right up there at number two." Number two? I wonder what number one could be...

No comments: